If you are considering an alkaline diet, including alkaline water, you may have a few questions. We’ve put together this brief primer to give you a better idea of how simple this change can be, and how good you will feel afterwards.
1. Alkaline water neutralizes the acid build up in our bodies, thus balancing our pH levels in our body’s cells. When our pH levels are balanced, we feel more energetic and can live fuller lives.
2. Acid build up has many causes, including an imbalanced diet, lack of exercise, smoking and other lifestyle factors. By simply eating healthier foods and avoiding sugar and fats, we can help eliminate much of this acid.
3. There are different ways to add alkaline to your water. You can purchase special filters that attach to your faucet, or drops, a more cost effective method that you can add to bottled water on the go. Becoming healthier should not be an inconvenience.
4. The alkaline diet is popular among nutritionists, various doctors and scientists, wellness instructors and celebrities because it incorporates simple lifestyle changes that allow us to be better balanced, both inside and out. “I use alkaline water with my clients because I feel like disease happens in the body when it has an acidic environment,” says Robin Grayson-Cohen, an acupuncturist at Points of Health in Coral Gables, Florida. “Chronic pain, immune issues and cancer all grow in an acidic environment.”
5. Alkaline water helps you heal faster. Avid runner and cyclist Ken Shuart swears by the stuff. “The quicker recovery from strenuous activity has been noticeable,” says Shuart, who is 53 years old. “I ran 100 miles this weekend and I feel fine today.”
6. One lifestyle change that we can all benefit from is to start eating dinner earlier. While some social obligations force us to put our health in the back seat, eating after 8pm, even snacking a little bit, should be avoided the majority of the time. “Closing the kitchen at 8pm is the biggest thing we can do to improve our health,” says Dr. Jamie Koufman, director of The Voice Institute of New York and author of Dropping Acid: The Reflux Diet Cookbook and Cure.
7. Alkaline water is safe for children, as it has no added chemicals. Alkaline is a mineral that when added to water, increases the overall pH balance. It does not replace any medications you might otherwise be prescribed.
8. 150,000 people in the United States have acid reflux, which can manifest itself in heartburn or burning in the esophagus, as well as asthma and asthma related symptoms. Alkaline water has dramatically improved these symptoms for many people, and doctors are suggesting it more frequently to their patients.
9. Alkaline water has been shown to not only help people feel great, but also help them age slower. By supporting the body’s immune system through balancing the pH levels, alkaline water detoxes the body of many harmful chemicals and acid build up.
10. According to Grayson-Cohen, slowing down our day to day activities is another great way to add more alkaline to the body.”Life is acidic,” she says. “Everyone is doing too much. We need to incorporate more alkalinity into our lives with activities like yoga, tai chi, walking on the beach and not being so stressed out all the time.”